Federal Tax

S-Corp Rejections

  • 1.  S-Corp Rejections

    Platinum Most Valuable Member
    Posted 09-08-2016 02:25 PM

    recently, our firm has had a number of S-Corp returns get rejected due to the file type not matching the IRS database.  In these cases, many are long-term clients that have been S-Corp for several years and had their extensions accepted.

    has anyone else encountered a similar issue?

    Stephen Mankowski
    Bryn Mawr PA

  • 2.  RE: S-Corp Rejections

    Silver Most Valuable Member
    Posted 09-09-2016 07:46 PM

    I have seen this problem with older S corporations.   I have also seen the IRS not allow a Rev. Proc. 2013-30 type fix but that may be the solution.  If you have copies of past returns proving they always filed as an S corp you should be able to succeed.

    Robert Barnett
    CPA, ESQ.
    Capell Barnett Matalon & Schoenfeld LLP

  • 3.  RE: S-Corp Rejections

    Bronze Most Valuable Member
    Posted 09-09-2016 07:57 PM

    The IRS is aware of this issue.  Unfortunately, per the IRS this issue will not fixed until at least January 2017.


    For taxpayers who are having their returns rejected, the IRS asks them to call the Business and Specialty line  (1-800-829-4933) to verify that S Corp status is present on the account. Once that is verified the return submitter can call the Help Desk (1-866-255-0654) and inform them of the S Corp status. The inquiry will be referred to a level 2 assistor who will update the MeF record to allow the return to be filed electronically.  The IRS will allow the return to come in electronically within 2-3 days of receiving the inquiry.  It normally takes 4 weeks for the Business and Specialty employees to update the actual account.


    Note that the level 2 assistors (per the IRS) are successful the majority of the time.  For those returns that the IRS is unable to update, the IRS asks the taxpayer (or the preparer) to send in the paper return and if they are a mandated taxpayer, request a waiver.  This is a one-time process.  Per the IRS, paper returns are categorized correctly based on the election.  


    Therefore, my opinion is to save the time of calling and just paper file any such rejected returns.  That is what we are doing.




    Edward P Caine CPA / CFF / CITP / CGMA

    Managing Partner


    EP Caine & Associates CPA, LLC





    Offices located in PA, NJ, NY, and FL


    Main Office:     

    25 Elliott Ave

    Bryn Mawr, PA 19010          


    cell:     (610) 212-8978

    office: (610) 525-2933             

    fax:     (888) 662-2933



    Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is privileged and confidential and subject to legal restrictions and penalties regarding its unauthorized disclosure or other use. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, copying, disclosure, use or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your system.


    Thank you.