NASSAUSUFFOLK

View Only
  • 1.  irs Notice

Silver Most Valuable Member
    Posted 06-23-2022 04:05 PM
    Several of our clients have received balance due notices when the return was filed and funds withdrawn electronically.  is anyone else experiencing this, and is there a procedure to respond or can you just wait till this posting adjusts without consequences.

------------------------------
    Randall Rogg
    Rogg & Kejriwal, LLP
    Carle Place NY

• 2.  RE: irs Notice

Posted 06-24-2022 10:02 AM
    I had a client who received a notice dated 4/18/22 on 4/15/22 (three days before the due date) demanding payment with additional interest & penalties and of course  NOT accounting for the electonic payment. I responded 5/3/22, including a copy of the client's bank statement showing the electronic withdrawal and demanding IRS credit client for payment & abate all interest & penalties. I responded via certified mail return recept requested. Just got the green receipt back two days ago. The receipt was stamped received 6/13/22! Neither I nor the client have heard ANYTHING for the IRS. OUTRAGOUS!!!

Joel Schleifer
    Retired
    Delray Beach FL

• 3.  RE: irs Notice

Posted 06-25-2022 08:32 AM
    I've had a few clients get the same letters. As
    usual one hand is not "talking" to the other at the IRS. In each case the payments were received timely just not posted! Clients either checked their online account or were lucky enough to get through to an agent at IRS who confirmed payment was there and to ignore letter, "sent in error"!!!!'

I think in their zest to catch up and be efficient the IRS "flagged" accounts that were filed before April 15th but did not have payments attached and then when the payments were withdrawn from clients accounts on April 15th there was no cross check to the "flagged" accounts.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: irs Notice

Posted 06-26-2022 09:07 AM
    I'm curious as to how the e*payment process was initiated... was it through the tax software or was the return e*filed & the payment made via EFTPS or some other available 3rd party process in a separate transaction
    RnG, CPA
    Temple, Texas (I wish Texas was still an independent country!)
    Sent from my rotary-dial eye-phone (325.203.1065)  via the Chisholm Trail network.

Accountants - The only professionals who create order out of chaos!
    "A tax return is an attested document. It is signed by the taxpayer and the preparer under penalties of perjury. It is not an opening offer. " ----Lee Sheppard

• 5.  RE: irs Notice

Posted 06-26-2022 04:27 PM
    In my instances one had the e payment made through my software program, which is Drake and another, the client went to IRS site and paid directly there. Again ok rhyme or reason.  

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: irs Notice

Platinum Most Valuable Member
    Posted 06-26-2022 06:00 PM
    My 2021 1040 client got a past due letter last week, paid balance due by check late March, cleared bank in a timely manner.

And so it goes!

Michael Jaffe
    CPA
    MICHAEL B. JAFFE, CPA PC
    Commack NY

Discussion Disclaimer

The opinions expressed are the views of the author alone and should not be attributed to any other individual or entity and shall not constitute an accounting opinion.