NASSAUSUFFOLK

View Only
  • 1.  1099-R with distribution code G omitted from just filed 1040

Posted 02-03-2023 03:31 PM

Hello,

I just filed a 2022 1040 / NYS IT-201 for a MFJ client who then received a 1099-R with distribution code G in the amount of $60k+.  Box 2a is blank, 2b has Total distribution box checked, there's no FWT, and the client said it was fully rolled over to a regular (not Roth) 401k at his new employer.

Since there's therefore no taxable amount, does a superseding return still need to be filed?

If a superseding return is required, would it make sense to wait until the client receives the federal and state refunds expected (totaling about $6k), so that the new filing doesn't slow down the IRS's processing of the refund?

------------------------------
    Mary Sherman
    MARY SHERMAN, CPA, CGMA
    Hicksville NY

• 2.  RE: 1099-R with distribution code G omitted from just filed 1040

Posted 02-04-2023 08:47 AM
    Let the returns go as is. When the correspondence arrives, simply
    respond with the new 1099R showing no taxable event. Then simply ask
    within the letter if the agency wants an amended return since there is
    no tax effect.

--
    Best Regards,
    Michael S. Resnik, CPA
    Resnik & Oppenheim CPAs PLLC
    Accounting, Tax and Advisory Services
    350 Jericho Turnpike-suite 300
    Jericho, NY 11753
    516-730-1001

• 3.  RE: 1099-R with distribution code G omitted from just filed 1040

Posted 02-04-2023 03:52 PM
    Thank you Michael!

Mary Sherman
    MARY SHERMAN, CPA, CGMA
    Hicksville NY

• 4.  RE: 1099-R with distribution code G omitted from just filed 1040

Bronze Most Valuable Member
    Posted 02-05-2023 08:46 AM
    I agree with Michael. The IRS should read the nontaxable G rollover code. They may send an inquiry, but I doubt it.

--
    Gerald S. Cohen, CPA
    cell 516 455-0643

• 5.  RE: 1099-R with distribution code G omitted from just filed 1040

Posted 02-05-2023 10:30 AM
    Thank you Gerald

Mary Sherman
    MARY SHERMAN, CPA, CGMA
    Hicksville NY

• 6.  RE: 1099-R with distribution code G omitted from just filed 1040

Posted 02-06-2023 12:47 AM
    On the first part of your inquiry. No matter what the issue , one should never look to amend a return until making sure the original was posted / processed, which can be seen on IRS.gov by tracing refund, if there is to be one, or otherwise letting your client check it with an online transcript, which is pretty easy to do now.
    On the second part of your question..  having worked for the IRS for 44+ years in exam, retired a few years ago...  in theory the IRS should get all the data off 1099 forms and see that the amounts have no tax consequence, but in reality, it does not always happen,   If you file an amended return, it will be associated with the original, and if you include an explanation that should answer any potential question. Filing an amended return can now be done e-filed and its quick and easy. You can wait and see if they contact your client by letter, but,,,this is the big thing,,they still don't have enough staffing to review all the incoming mail and at times getting your response reviewed by the right examiner is a challenge. Should you opt for that method, be sure to use the coded envelope it comes with  to respond with your answer, not your fancy letter on business stationery. The bar code gets it directed to the proper area as they can get tens of thousands of pieces of mail a day.   I didn't want to have an online debate with people but me personally, especially since the IRS has now set up amended return by e-file, it's so quick and easy I would file it with explanation and if your software allows attach copy of 1099. 

If you have any questions as to why I take that position, you can contact me at silvermantaxconsult@gmail.com or 516-302-5455

Howard Silverman
    Enrolled Agent
    silvermantaxconsult@gmail.com
    516-302-5455

• 7.  RE: 1099-R with distribution code G omitted from just filed 1040

Posted 02-06-2023 10:36 AM

Thank you Howard!

Beschrijving: logoprint MSH CPA logo only

Beschrijving: logoprint ball only

Mary Sherman, CPA, CGMA

Hicksville, NY 11801

Tel: (516) 433-3734

Email: msh@maryshermancpa.com

Web: www.maryshermancpa.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Privileged and confidential information may be contained in this message and any related attachments.  This information is only for the viewing or use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy, review, distribute or forward the contents of this message to anyone. In such case, you should notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message from your computer.

Discussion Disclaimer

The opinions expressed are the views of the author alone and should not be attributed to any other individual or entity and shall not constitute an accounting opinion.